U. S. Embassy London
December 21, 2020
Health Alert – U.S. Embassy London, UK December 21, 2020
Location: United Kingdom
On December 20, Her Majesty’s government issued tighter coronavirus (COVID) restrictions across the United Kingdom. Scotland and Wales have also updated their travel restrictions. For the most up to date information, see https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus. London and much of southeastern United Kingdom are now in Tier 4: Stay at Home. To determine what tier you are in, go to the Gov.UK website https://www.gov.uk/find-coronavirus-local-restrictions
Some countries have temporarily halted travel from the United Kingdom. Travelers should continue to check carrier schedules for the latest updates. There may also be new self-isolation measures in place when traveling to and from the United Kingdom.
Go to Travel.State.Gov for more information as well as links to U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in the United Kingdom.
U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents are permitted to return to the United States from the overseas. Travelers should continue to check carrier schedules for the latest updates and work directly with the carrier or travel agent to arrange or reschedule travel. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
If you decide to travel to the United Kingdom:
- Be aware of your surroundings when traveling to tourist locations and crowded public venues.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and adjust your plans based on new information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for the United Kingdom.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100