UNITED STATES EMBASSY LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:
Security Incident at Oxford Circus Station, London
November 24, 2017
UPDATE: 1815 GMT: resolved. @MetpoliceUK report no evidence of gunfire.
The U.S. Embassy in London informs U.S. citizens that there has been a security incident at Oxford Street underground station and Oxford street in London. Police officers are on the scene. Please follow the guidance of local police directly via Twitter at @metpoliceuk and @BTP. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area, heed instructions from UK police and government authorities, and maintain security awareness. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens in the United Kingdom to directly contact concerned family members in the United States to advise them of your safety.
The most accurate real-time information on security matters is available from UK authorities, who have responsibility for the safety and security of all persons in the United Kingdom.
- View updates from the London Metropolitan Police at met.police.uk/ or follow at @metpoliceuk and British Transport Police @BTP
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and United Kingdom Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in London, located at 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 2LQ, at +44 (0) 20 7499 9000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or by email at SCSLondon@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens in need of urgent assistance is: +44 (0) 20 7499 9000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.