U. S. Embassy London
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
UK National Security Threat Level Raised to Critical
September 15, 2017
The U.S. Embassy in London informs U.S. citizens that the government of the United Kingdom raised its national security threat level to critical on Friday, September 15. A threat level of critical means that an attack is expected imminently.
More information about U.K. threat levels is available at the MI5 website. There is no specific information available about the nature of any expected attack.
You should review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Europe Travel Alert, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country-Specific Information Sheet for the United Kingdom.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in the United Kingdom, located at 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1A 2LQ, at +44 (20) 7499-9000, or by e-mail at email@example.com, or visit the Embassy website at https://uk.usembassy.gov/
- U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh, 3 Regent Terrace, Edinburgh EH7 5BW, Scotland, at +44(13) 1556-8315, from 8:30 am to 5 pm on weekdays. After-hours, weekends, and holidays, call +44 (20) 7499-9000, or by email at Edinburghfirstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Consulate General Belfast, Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, Belfast BT9 5GR, Northern Ireland, at +44 (28) 9038-6100, or by email at ConsularBelfast@state.gov
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.