- Employment Opportunities with the U.S. Mission to the UK
- Legal Right to Work in the UK
- Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM) Hiring Preference
- Apply Here!
- Job Interview
- The Working Environment
- Pre-Employment Clearances
- Employment Opportunities with other U.S. Missions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Employment and ERA
This page contains reminders, application instructions and policies, and guides for a successful application through our online job vacancy portal – the Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA):
How to Create an Account on ERA
- CREATE AN ERA ACCOUNT
Use Google Chrome browser when accessing our Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA) portal. The system works best in Google Chrome and may not work properly if opened in other browsers:
a) On the ERA Job Seeker Page, click on the “LOG-IN” link.
b) Click “CREATE AN ACCOUNT” from the Login pop-up window.
c) Fill out your personal and contact information. All items marked with a red asterisk (*) are mandatory and would require a response. Make sure your contact information is correct.
d) Each ERA account must have a unique email address; the system will NOT allow multiple applicant accounts using the same email address. Use the “Next” and “Previous buttons located at the bottom of each page to navigate. Do NOT use the browser navigation buttons or refresh button or you may lose important information.
- MANAGE YOUR ERA ACCOUNT – SECURE YOUR LOG-IN DETAILS
Always remember, the account you set-up will remain the same for all other Embassy vacancies. You will be asked to create a password. Your password must have at least 12 characters and must include at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one digit, one special character, and no spaces. Make sure to provide a password that you will easily remember and find a way to keep it safely where you can access it in case you forgot it. Next, you need to select your secret or security questions to enable you to retrieve your password. For these security questions, you need to provide answers that you will easily remember. There should be 3 mandatory security questions with 3 mandatory answers. The answers to the security questions must be unique, must not begin and/or end with spaces, and are case sensitive. If you made a mistake – a red validation square will come up which will prompt you to amend your answer. It is the applicant’s responsibility to maintain and secure his/her credentials to ERA. In case you forgot your password and you cannot retrieve it through the security questions, you will need to create a new account in ERA. In the last stage, you will receive confirmation and an email stating that your account was created. Safeguard your account email, password, and security questions/answers as you will need those to login to your ERA account.
- WHAT IF I FORGOT MY PASSWORD?
If you forgot your password, the account lock is only TEMPORARY. After 30 minutes, ERA will allow you to log in again.
Otherwise, click the Forgot Password link. You will be asked to provide your email address, and your 3 secret answers.The secret answers must be the same to those you used when you set-up your account.When asked to create a new password, click confirm.
In case you can no longer remember your password, the system ONLY ALLOWS two options: 1. Click the password reset hyperlink or 2. Create a new account.
If you forget your email address, there is NO way to retrieve the account information and you will have to create a new account.
- APPLY FOR A VACANCY
After successfully creating your account, you will now be able to search for currently available vacancies. If a vacancy is active, you will be able to click the hyperlinked Job Title. Apply to each of the active vacancy you are interested in and of which you are qualified.
You can also send your application to more than one vacancy announcement which you are qualified.
Before applying for any vacant position, please read the entire vacancy announcement carefully and make sure that you meet all of the eligibility and qualification requirements. Be certain to the address required factors of Education level, Language skills (both English and local or other languages), and years of experience in your application.
Applicants are encouraged to review the Eight Qualities of Overseas Employees, as they will be expected to demonstrate these as a member of the U.S. Mission UK Team.
- FILL OUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
Provide information on your application that are true, correct, and complete.
Provide a clear and complete information on your work experiences.
You must answer all the questions and correctly certify your qualifications.
A curriculum vitae or resume is NOT considered and will not be used during the qualification analysis process.
Only the information completed on the application can be used to determine eligibility and qualifications of applicants.
You have the option to print the vacancy announcement and/or email it for sharing or for personal reference.
- UPLOAD ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Upload all the required documents to your application before the closing date of the vacancy.
Make sure to provide all information relevant to your application.
An educational record to verify educational attainment is required in ALL vacancy announcements.
- WAIT FOR CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT OF APPLICATION
Once you have applied for a position, a confirmation window will automatically appear, and a congratulatory message will confirm that your application was submitted.
You will be able to view all the positions you applied to in the “Dashboard” along with their closing dates.
- REVIEW LIST OF VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS
At the end of your application, you can either click “View your Dashboard” to review your application/s status or “Return to Vacancy Listing” to continue applying to other vacancies.
- THINGS TO DO/EXPECT NEXT AFTER SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION
Check emails regularly including the junk or spam folders to check for update/feedback on the application. The Human Resources Office will only contact an applicant IF the application has progressed to the next step in the recruitment process. Follow-up is not needed. Applicants will need to wait for at least six (6) weeks after the closing date of the vacancy to know if their application have been shortlisted for next level.
- PROCESS OF EXAMINATION AND INTERVIEW
We are currently facilitating tests and interviews online using Microsoft Teams.
Reminders for Job Seekers
To be a successful applicant:
- Use the Google Chrome browser when accessing ERA. The system works best in Google Chrome and may not work properly if opened in other browsers.
- Safeguard ERA password and manage your ERA job seeker account. It is the applicant’s responsibility to maintain his/her credentials to ERA.
- In case you forgot your password, the account lock is only TEMPORARY – after 30 minutes, ERA will allow you to log in again
- If you can no longer remember your password, the system ONLY allows two options: Create a new ERA account (using a different email address) or click the password reset hyperlink for account recovery
- Keep an active and correct contact details on your ERA account (email address, mobile number, phone number).
- Submit application on ERA before the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
- Provide all information relevant to your application. Remember that it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide information on his/her application that are true, correct, and complete. We no longer consider a curriculum vitae or resume during the qualification analysis process. Only the information completed on the application will be used to determine eligibility and qualifications of applicants.
- Upload all required documents as listed on each vacancy announcement before the closing date. Failure to provide supporting documents/information to verify qualifications will invalidate an application.
- Make sure to check your email regularly including the junk or spam folders so you wouldn’t miss any updates or further instructions.
Note: The Human Resources Office will only contact you IF your application has progressed to the next step in the recruitment process. Follow-up is not needed. You will need to wait for at least six (6) weeks after the closing date of the vacancy to know if your application have been shortlisted for next level.
Additional Information and Policies
Interested applicants should also check the links below to obtain essential tips on how to be a successful employee of the U.S. Embassy:
- Eight Qualities of Overseas Employees (PDF / 1 page)
- Effective April 01, 2016, Ordinarily Resident (OR) U.S. Veterans will no longer receive a hiring preference for positions advertised in the Mission. OR U.S. Veterans are encouraged to apply for positions in the Mission for which they are eligible and qualified; however, their applications will be considered alongside other non-preference candidates.
- OR U.S. Veterans who are currently employed in the mission may remain employed; however, effective April 1, 2016, they will no longer receive a hiring preference when competing for internal vacancies.
Additional ERA Guides
Recruitment During COVID-19
Due to the current situation related to COVID-19, we’re leveraging our digital capabilities to ensure we can continue to recruit top talent at Mission UK.
If successfully shortlisted for an assessment and/or interview you will receive instructions (with video tutorials) on how to connect with us via Microsoft Teams. We ask that you become familiar with this collaborative platform as we all adjust to this new world of remote working.