- Employment Opportunities with the U.S. Mission to the UK
- Legal Right to Work in the UK
- Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM) Hiring Preference
- Apply Here!
- Job Interview
- The Working Environment
- Pre-Employment Clearances
- Employment Opportunities with other U.S. Missions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Employment and ERA
The Recruitment Process
Thank you for your interest in employment at the U.S. Mission to the United Kingdom. The recruitment process at the embassy is not intended to be a long and unnecessarily bureaucratic process, but it is designed to be consistent, focused, and fair in attracting and securing the most suitable person for the job being advertised.
The Embassy and Consulates
The embassy and consulates’ staff comprises:
- Direct-Hire Americans who are assigned to the Embassy by their Agencies in Washington D.C., and,
- Locally Employed (LE) Staff who are hired in the UK.
On these pages you will find information about the Locally Employed staff program at the United States Mission to the United Kingdom. We recruit Locally Employed staff for the embassy in London as well as our consulates general in Belfast and Edinburgh. We also recruit for our Annex in Croughton. Our main offices are in Nine Elms, London.
Like any large organization, we recruit for a wide range of vacancies, from administrators to trades, from linguists to I.T. and financial specialists, just to mention a few.
The Right to Work in the UK
We do NOT sponsor job applicants for any vacancies. U.S. citizens already living in the UK must ensure they have the legal right to work in the UK and must work with the UK government for the relevant visa.
We highly recommend that you read the following pages carefully. Failure to follow instructions on how to apply will invalidate your application.
Foreign Service Vacancies & Internships
For enquiries regarding Department of State employment, such as for the Foreign Service or Student Internship programs, please visit careers.state.gov. This website also provides information on the Foreign Service Officer Test (FSOT).