Transportation Letter Request


Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), including conditional lawful permanent residents, who have been absent from the United States for less than one year are required to present a valid Permanent Resident Card  (‘green card’) (Form I-551), when seeking to board a vessel or aircraft destined to the United States.

LPRs who are in possession of a valid Permit to Reenter (Form I-327) may present this document in lieu of the Form I-551 for return travel to the United States.

If an LPR is not in possession of a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, or a valid Permit to Reenter, the transportation carrier may refuse boarding.  This is due to the fact that a transportation carrier may be subjected to penalties if it allows the individual to travel to the United States.

If an LPR is in possession of an expired Permanent Resident Card as shown on our PRC sample page, the airlines may allow boarding without penalty provided the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date.  Therefore you should check with your airline before requesting a Transportation Letter.

A United States military family member with an expired Permanent Resident Card will not require a transportation letter if in possession of an expired permanent resident card with a 10-year validity period and is returning after having resided outside the United States on official overseas U.S. military orders. The military family member may travel with an expired permanent resident card and military orders.

Infant Transportation Letters – Please contact us at for more information.


Applying for a USCIS Transportation Letter

If you believe you have maintained your lawful permanent residency and require a transportation letter from the USCIS Field Office London to reenter the United States, you will need complete the following steps prior to you receiving an appointment.

  1. Go to the USCIS website at to obtain Form I-131A and filing instructions.  Refer to the attached instructions if necessary.
  2. Pay the fee for the I-131A online in ELIS – The fee of $575.00 must be paid online prior to your appointment. There is no other method of payment.

Click here to pay online.   Be sure to read the instructions before you apply, as the fee is non-refundable.

  1. To obtain an appointment – Send an email to with SUBJECT line indicating  ‘REQUEST FOR TRANSPORTATION LETTER’  and providing the following documentation (all documents should be attached as Adobe Acrobat PDF’s) AND the  following information:
    1. The confirmation of payment you received from to show that you made the payment. Ensure that the tracking ID and Agency Tracking ID is listed on the confirmation page that you forward to USCIS London.
    2. Photocopy of your valid passport photo page.
    3. Flight itinerary which shows your confirmed booking to the United States.
    4. Reason for transportation letter:  green card lost, stolen or misplaced, never received, other (please explain briefly).
  1. Required documents at time of appointment – You will need to bring to your appointment the following documents:
    1. Your valid foreign passport;
    2. Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) – Form I-131A;
    3. Two (2) U.S. sized (2” x 2”) color passport-style photographs;
    4. A copy of your flight ticket/electronic itinerary for our records showing your last departure from the United States;
    5. A copy of your flight ticket/electronics itinerary showing your return travel to the United States;
    6. Police Report (if your permanent resident card was stolen); and
    7. Proof of your permanent resident status (if available)
  1. Your appointment – The Transportation Letter may be issued on the date of your appointment provided you bring all of the above required documents and have paid the filing fee in advance. The Transportation Letter is valid for 30 days.