Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens Employed Abroad

Updated: 18 November 2014

Generally, the spouse of a U.S. citizen who is employed by the U.S. government, including the military, or other qualifying employer, whose spouse is scheduled to be stationed abroad in such employment for at least 1 year at the time of filing, may be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(b) of the INA.

Note:  This process requires attendance at an interview and naturalization ceremony in the US.

In general, a spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad must be present in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence at the time of examination on the naturalization application and at the time of naturalization, and meet of all of the requirements listed above except that:

  • No specific period as a permanent resident (green card holder) is required (but the spouse must be a permanent resident)
  • No specific period of continuous residence or physical presence in the United States is required
  • No specific period of marital union is required; however, the spouses must be in a valid marriage at the time of filing until the time of naturalization.

Note: You must also establish that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and that you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad.   For more information, please visit’s Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens (opens in new window).