Filing Form I-407 with USCIS London

Filing Form I-407 with USCIS London

To give up lawful permanent resident (LPR) status and relinquish a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, I-551).

Who May File or Receive Service
Any individual who wishes to abandon his or her permanent resident status.


Parents submitting the I-407 on behalf of children

Special Notice for parents submitting the I-407 on behalf of children under the age of 18:
Before an I-407 can be accepted by USCIS on behalf of any child under the age of 18, both parents MUST sign and date Items 13.a, 13.b AND also 14.a; 14.b, and 14.c (refer to page 2 of the instructions for Items 13 and 14).

Supporting Documentation

Please return the following items with the completed and signed I-407:

  • Lawful Permanent Resident Card (the “Green Card”, Form I-551)
  • Permit to Re-Enter (Form I-327) (only if applicable)
  • Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (Form G-28) (only if applicable)
  • A self-addressed envelope (do not include postage)
    (Note: If more than one application is submitted from one family, you only need to provide one envelope).

DO NOT SUBMIT United States Social Security cards to this office.
Contact the U.S. Embassy Federal Benefits Unit for information on the return of social security cards.

Submitting Your Form I-407

There are two ways to file the Form I-407:

By Post/Mail

USCIS Field Office London (I-407)
Embassy of the United States of America
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US

By Appointment

To make an appointment to file your I-407, please follow the attached instructions.

Special Notes:

  • Once USCIS Field Office London receives your completed Form I-407 and green card/reentry permit, a copy of the processed form will be returned to you in the stamped, self-address envelope you provide.
  • The copy is your record to show that you have formally abandoned permanent resident status.
  • It is strongly recommended that you make a backup copy of the I-407 returned to you (e.g. as a PDF on your computer) so that in the event you lose the paper copy of the I-407 you can always print a new copy.
  • It is strongly recommended that you carry a copy of the processed I-407 with you to the airport. If your passport shows that you had previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card), and you do not have a copy, the airline could deny boarding.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.


This page was last updated on September 05,2018.