Federal Benefits services in Edinburgh

If you are interested in applying for a Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, social security or veterans’benefits, first contact the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) at the Embassy in London. The FBU will provide specific information about how to apply and advise you what documents they need from you.

We can assist you in coordinating follow-up actions with FBU.  If you do not wish to send your original documents to the FBU in London you may bring them to the Consulate General on Tuesdays or Wednesdays between 09:00 am and 12: 30 pm to be copied.  No appointment is necessary for this service.  Please ensure that, in addition to the original documents, you bring the letter from the FBU listing the documents required.

Parents registering a child at the Consulate General will apply for a social security number at the same time.

The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in London maintains a list of FAQs which may also be useful.