- Consul General Elizabeth Kennedy Trudeau
- Emergency Contact Information – Belfast
- Visiting Consulate General Belfast
- U.S. Citizen Services in Belfast
- Federal Benefits services in Belfast
- Nonimmigrant Visas
- Immigrant Visas
- Tourist Information for Northern Ireland
- Northern Ireland Policy statements
- History of the U.S. Consulate General in Belfast
COVID-19 RELATED GUIDANCE
STEP – Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Benefits of Enrolling in STEP
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
Visit the STEP Website for more information.
Welcome to the U.S. Citizen Services Section of the Consulate General Belfast. We provide passport and other consular services to U.S. Citizens in Northern Ireland. There is no Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or Social Security Administration (SSA) representation in Belfast. The IRS office at the U.S. Embassy in London has closed but we maintain a list of links and tax-preparation services. For information about the Federal Benefits/Social Security Administration, please see here.
How to Book an Appointment in Belfast
Please make an appointment prior to visiting the Consulate. Appointments for Passport Services, for Reporting the Birth of a Child Born Abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s), and for Notary Services MUST be booked online from the appropriate service page.
For any other U.S. Citizen Service, please telephone (028) 9038 6104 during office hours (8:30am through 5:00pm) or contact us using our contact form to book an appointment in advance. This will enable us to ensure that the necessary personnel are available to assist you at the time of your visit.
Out of Hours Emergency Contact Information
In the case of a genuine emergency involving a U.S. citizen outside of normal business hours, see Emergency Contact details.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
An extensive list of FAQs covering U.S. passports, U.S. citizenship, registering with the Embassy (or Consulate), the I94 form, Criminal Record Checks, marriages and so forth, is available from the Embassy webpages.