23 May 2017
Security Message for U.S. Citizens:
Update on Incident at Manchester Arena
(updated at 13:55 BST)
The U.S. Embassy in London informs U.S. citizens of a major incident that occurred on the night of May 22 at Manchester Arena in Manchester. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area, heed instructions from UK police and government authorities, and maintain security awareness. Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, especially in crowds or at large events, and monitor local news sources for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- According to the Greater Manchester Police, the area around Manchester Arena and Manchester’s Victoria Train Station remains cordoned off. Media reports indicate that train services at Victoria Train are cancelled on Tuesday, May 23.
- The Greater Manchester Police advise the public to follow Transport for Greater Manchester for public transport updates. Be aware that it may be difficult to move around the city.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens in the United Kingdom to directly contact family members in the United States to advise them of your safety.
The most accurate real-time information on security matters is available from UK authorities, who have responsibility for the safety and security of all persons in the United Kingdom.
For more information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and United Kingdom Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in London, located at 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 2LQ, at +44 (0) 20 7499 9000, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday or by email at SCSLondon@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens in need of urgent assistance is: +44 (0) 20 7499 9000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
- If you are worried about loved ones who may have been at
#ManchesterArena you can call UK number 0161-856-9400 (outside the UK: +44-161-856-9400)