Contact US – Immigrant Visas

Please take the time to review the information on our website together with the following most frequently asked questions we receive.  If, after reviewing the information, your question remains unanswered, please get in touch using our contact form.

We aim to respond to visa inquiries within 5 working days of receipt.  If you have not had a response within 5 working days, please check your email provider’s “spam” folder, BEFORE resending a form. Please note, however, that if the answer to your inquiry is on our website, you will not receive a response.

If your inquiry concerns an immigrant visa please check the Immigrant Visa FAQ page for more information.

PLEASE review these questions before contacting us:

If you are traveling to the United States on holiday, for tourism or medical treatment, and you are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, you are required to apply for a B-2 visa. If travel is for a reason other than that stated, click here for further information.

You can schedule an appointment in one of two ways; either online via or by calling 020 3608 6998 from within the United Kingdom, or 703-439-2367 from within the United States.  Prior to scheduling the appointment, you are required to take several steps.

  1.  Complete the online visa application form DS-160 –

If you have ever been arrested and/or convicted or cautioned of an offense anywhere in the world, we recommend that you apply for a visa before traveling to the United States. Please note that the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law.  You are required to declare the arrest/caution/conviction, regardless of when it occurred and your age at the time.  Further information on applying for a visa and the documents required in support of the visa application is available on the How to Apply page.

The recommendation that you apply for a visa also applies if you have held a valid visa and that visa has now expired.

We do not pre-adjudicate visa applications and, therefore, cannot advise you on the likely outcome of your application.  The only way in which to determine your eligibiity for a visa is to apply.  We regret that we will not  respond to individual questions about a person’s eligibility for a visa.

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport can still be used provided you are traveling for the same purpose as when the visa was issued and you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. If, however, the passport authority clipped the corners of the passport when canceling it and, in so doing, damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.A change of name will not affect the validity of the visa.  We recommend that when traveling, you carry a copy of the document showing the name change.

Please note that a B-1/B-2 visa that is valid “indefinitely” is no longer valid for travel to the United States.  You are required to either travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if qualified, or apply for a new visa.

You can monitor the progress of your application online.  As soon as the Non immigrant Visa Unit is able to take further action in your case, they will update the website.

It is important to note that a review of your application may take 60 days to complete and we will not respond to email inquiries concerning individual cases.

If you will transit the United States, even if only for a couple of hours and you have no intention of leaving the airport, you will be required to apply for travel authorization under ESTA, if qualified for visa free travel under the Visa Waiver Program, or apply for a transit C-1 visa.  Please see our webstie for further information.

The requirement that a passport be valid for six months beyond the holder’s stay in the United States is waived in the case of a British Citizen passport holder.  Provided your passport is valid for the duration of your visit, you may submit it in support of your visa application and travel to the United States.

It is also waived for many other nationalities, download the 9 FAM 41.104 Exhibit I PDF (PDF – 92kb) for further information.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted until the date on which the passport expires.

Qualified Visa Waiver Program travelers who are entering the United States by air or sea carrier are required to register under the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.  It is important to note that there is only one official U.S. government website, which is:  The fee for registering under ESTA is $14.00.  If you are asked to pay more, you are not on the official website.Please note that if you hold a valid U.S. visa, you are not required to register under ESTA.For a list of the most frequently asked questions concerning ESTA, click here.

Unlike some countries, the United States government does not issue work visas for casual employment. In general, work visas are based on a specific job offer.

If you are seeking employment for a temporary period there are several categories of visa that may be applicable to you.

Exchange visitor (J-1) – required for summer employment programs, intern programs for university students, and au-pair programs.

Temporary work (H-2) – required for temporary skilled and unskilled employment for which there is a shortage of U.S. workers

Temporary work (H-1) – required to perform services in a prearranged professional job for a U.S. employer.

Please take the time to see our video before completing the form as it answers many of the questions that we are asked – you can find the Youtube here.  You are required to complete the form to the best of your ability. We cannot assist you or provide individual guidance.

Please note:

  • If you make an error when completing the DS-160 you are required to correct it. If the form has been transmitted, you are required to complete a new one;
  • If you cannot remember specific dates, you may give approximate dates;
  • If there is insufficient space to enter all of your information, it may be added on a separate sheet of paper and submitted with your application;
  • The site does experience intermittent connectivity issues. If you experience such difficulties we recommend that you try accessing the website at another time and or a different computer;
  • If you experience issues with uploading a photograph, you may bring the photograph to the visa interview.

Please click here for an explanation of the different messages you will see when checking your status in CEAC.