U. S. Embassy London
January 19, 2021
Alert: CDC To Require Negative COVID Test From All Air Travelers Entering United States
Location: United Kingdom – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director has signed an order requiring all airline passengers traveling to the United States, including U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs), to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test or recovery from COVID-19.
Event: Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide either a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three (3) calendar days of travel or provide a positive test result and documentation from a licensed health care provider or public health official of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Passengers must also attest, under penalty of law, to having received a negative qualifying test result or to recovery from COVID-19 and medical clearance to travel.
See the CDC Proof of Negative Test Result page to view the order, complete the attestation, and to see FAQs.
Airlines must deny boarding to passengers who do not meet these requirements.
U.S. citizens in countries where robust COVID-19 testing is not available or who may not be able to satisfy the requirements should depart immediately or prepare to be unable to return to the United States until such time as they can meet the requirements.
This order supersedes the previous order from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued on December 25, 2020, requiring proof of a negative COVID test result for all airline passengers arriving in the United States from the United Kingdom.
For additional information, please visit the CDC’s webpage (PDF).
The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for the UK.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 (Very High) Travel Health Notice for the United Kingdom due to COVID-19 advising travelers to avoid non-essential travel to Europe.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance regarding testing requirements
- Monitor the Embassy’s COVID-19 page https://uk.usembassy.gov/for updated information on COVID-19 related information including availability of testing.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
U.S. Consulate General Edinburgh
+44 (0) 131 556-8315
U.S. Consulate General Belfast
+44(0) 28 9038-6100